Desert Love Song

 

Desert Love Song


Saguaro bones in my blood

she sings me the song of myself

deeper than it’s ever been sung


The light at dusk

reflecting off the sand

the stone

the fingers of Palo Verde

the spines of cholla

this light is the deep still light

-pink and golden

and growing shadows-

of knowing

Knowing in a place

so old with scorching

that everything 

already learned

about protection

She offers the beautiful

embodiment of boundary







The grace of venom

the precision of a spine

the efficiency of a sting

the clarity of a claw

the finality of drought


She reminds me to hold

to give without giving it all

to remember that I am

that same light of knowing

pink and golden


and far too potent to be 

wasted


on that which isn’t mine

to protect


I hear you, Sonora.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Home